Be sure to watch the weather today. We have severe weather headed our way! Use these links to stay informed:
Before heavy rains come you might want to clear all gutters and drains of any debris.
Charging Your Phone In Bed May Cause A Fire
Where do you charge your phone at night?
Make sure that your phone charging location is a safe, hard surfaced, non-hazardous location to avoid burns and possible fires. Charging cords become damaged after being worn down, and with the right material in contact, could cause a fire. Many young adults and teenagers charge their phone under their pillow! International Business Times discusses the risky habit here! Take these steps to avoid possible fire damage or injuries:
- Make sure to discuss the proper charging locations.
- Do not use chargers if the cord has been damaged.
- Do not charge phones under or in between pillows.
- Invest in safe charging stands for your children and household.
If a fire does happen, big or small, SERVPRO of St. Joseph can help restore your property! Give us a call at 816-232-7711!
Storage Boxes Should Be Elevated Off of the Floor In Case of Flooding
If you keep your boxes stored directly on the floor, it's possible that the contents may someday be damaged by flood waters. How should you avoid this from happening?
According to Unclutterer.com, here are the 3 laws of basement storage:
- Thy stuff, it shalt not be on the floor.
- Thy stuff, it should be stored in air-tight, hard plastic containers.
- Thou shalt own and run a dehumidifier/humidifier when necessary.
In St. Joseph Missouri, we have had a very rainy summer season, therefore be prepared for any possible flooding in your basement. Don't always assume your basement is flood-proof and check it after heavy rains just in case. Give your local SERVPRO location in St. Joseph a call at 816-232-7711 if you experience flood damage to your property!
We Are Locally Owned and Operated
SERVPRO of St. Joseph is a franchise, but we are owned and operated by local members of your community! From our owners Brett and Sam Halsey, all the way to our production crew, we are from St. Joseph and surrounding towns. We know the area that we serve and we love building relationships with our customers! We are personal when it comes to each job that we complete. When you call our office you will speak with a real person and we will directly help you with your situation. With the personal connection we provide, we also have advanced equipment, high end technology, and high standards that get the job done quick and right. We value our customers, community, employees, and the work we provide. If you have any questions, stop by our office at 507 N 36th Street in St. Joseph for more information or give us a call at 816-232-7711! Thank you for trusting SERVPRO of St. Joseph for all your cleaning and restoration needs!
Flood Warning for St. Joseph, Missouri
According to the National Weather Service, St. Joseph is in a flood warning due to the Missouri River's high elevation.
- The Flood Warning continues for the Missouri River at St Joseph until Sunday August 25.
- At 9:30 am Tuesday the stage was 18.1 feet.
- Flood stage is 17.0 feet.
- Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast.
- Forecast... the river is cresting this morning. The river will then begin a slow fall. At 17.0 feet... lowland flooding upstream and downstream from St. Joseph occurs.
If you have flooding occur on your property, give us a call at 816-232-7711 and we can get our professional crew out to begin extracting water. Stay safe and avoid flood waters as they can be very dangerous!
Fire Escape Planning
Does your home or business office have a plan to escape the building safely if a fire occurs?
According to Missouri Department of Public Safety
Here are some tips to think about when preparing your escape plans:
- Draw a map of each level of your home and show all doors and windows. Find two ways to get out of each room. Make sure all doors and windows that lead outside open easily.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you cannot help them.
- Have a plan for everyone in your home who has a disability.
- Practice your fire escape plan at night and during the daytime.
- Close bedroom doors before going to sleep.
- Designate a meeting spot outside of your home a safe distance away to ensure that all family members are safe.
- Remind family members that once they are out, it is important to stay out. You should never go back into a burning building for any reason. If someone is trapped in the home, allow firefighters who are equipped to enter the home to rescue them.
- Only purchase collapsible escape ladders evaluated by a recognized testing laboratory. Use the ladder only in a real emergency.
SERVPRO wants everyone to stay safe and be prepared for emergencies. If you do have a fire and need damaged property restored, we are here to help! Just give us a call at 816-232-7711!
When Storms or Floods hit St. Joseph, SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of St. Joseph specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit St. Joseph, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams (https://www.SERVPROstjoseph.com/disaster-recovery) that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 816-232-7711!
Owner and Marketing/Sales Manager, Samantha Halsey
Have you met our owner AND Sales/Marketing Manager Samantha Halsey?! Sam is in charge of all marketing events, accounts payable, business relationships, planning events, and the advertising that is done for our franchise. She has been the owner since 2003 with her husband Brett, but around 6 years ago, she came in to help grow the business! Some other duties that Sam often partakes in are: answering the phone, emailing contacts inside and outside of the business, and leading board meetings. Her creativity and personality are perfect for the job as Marketing Manager and to uplift the office! Not only is she busy around the office, but she also has two teenagers to raise at home. We do not know what we would do without her every day. Thank you for all you do here Sam!
Why Choose SERVPRO Vacuum Freeze Drying?
Do you or does your business have important paper documents that cannot be lost? If those documents were to be damaged by water, how would you restore them? Here is why you should call SERVPRO!
- We use sublimation- turning a solid directly into a vapor, skipping the liquid stage to avoid causing more damage to the documents.
- We are local!
- Vacuum freeze drying is the most efficient and effective way to salvage water-damaged documents.
- We use state-of-the-art technology.
- We use the only method approved by NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) and the GSA (General Services Administration).
- Other methods such as dehumidification can alter the structure of the paper's fibers causing them to become more brittle.
- All employees of the Document Restoration Team are HIPAA Master certified.
- Once your items arrive at our facility, we guarantee 24/7 video surveillance.
- Our goal is to make the process as simple as possible for our customers.
- Standard drying time is 7-10 days.
- We offer cleaning, trimming from fire damage, refile jacketing, deodorization, gamma irradiation, and basic drying.
As a leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO knows timely mitigation is the key to reducing severity and recovering damaged items. Water damaged paper can rapidly deteriorate. Without proper handling, valuable files and irreplaceable documents could be lost forever. Let SERVPRO's restoration professionals help you recover your damaged goods before it is too late! Call us at 816-232-7711 or stop by our office at 507 N. 36th Street in Saint Joseph, Missouri for more information!
Gift Baskets Given To St. Joseph Firefighters
With the 4th of July this week, SERVPRO recognized and showed appreciation for all the firefighters in our area! We brought a basket of treats to each station. We know this is a busy time of year for them due to everyone having fun with fireworks. According to the NFPA...
- In 2013, fireworks caused an estimated 15,600 reported fires in the U.S., including 1,400 structure fires, 200 vehicle fires, and 14,000 outside and other fires.
- These fires resulted in an estimated 30 civilian injuries and $21 million in direct property damage, with no reported fire deaths. Most fireworks deaths and injuries occur without fires.
- Two thirds of the fires started by fireworks in 2009-2013 were brush, grass or forest fires. However, most of the injuries and property damage resulted from structure fires.
- More than one-quarter (28%) of fires started by fireworks in 2009-2013 were reported on Independence Day. Almost half (47%) of the reported fires on the Fourth of July were started by fireworks.
Our definition of a hero is someone who protects our world and continues to make it a better place. Our hero rushes in when everyone else is rushing out. Our hero sacrifices more daily than most do in an entire lifetime. Thank you to all the firefighters protecting us!