Preparing for Winter
Take a few steps to prepare your home for winter.
- Winterize your home:
- Install weather stripping
- Insulate water lines
- clean out gutters
- Check your heating system:
- Have your system serviced
- Inspect chimney and fireplace
- install or replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Install a Co detector to alert you of the presence of the deadly, odorless gas. Check and change the battery regularly.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning: headache, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
Make sure your vehicles are ready for the cold weather too.
- get your car serviced and maintain antifreeze.
- check your tires.
- keep your gas tank full to avid icing in the fuel lines.
- Use a wintertime formula in your washer fluid source.
- Keep a winter emergency kit in your car. Include: portable charger for cell phone, blanket, hat, gloves, flashlight, first-aid kit, snacks and water.